The significance of transmission fluid for soothing car performance is indescribable. Transmission fluid lubricates the internal components of the Jeep Cherokee’s transmission to optimize its performance. However, some new Jeep Cherokee owners are unaware that they should check the transmission fluid level every week for improved Jeep Cherokee performance. They also don’t know how to add transmission fluid. Do you know how to add transmission fluid to a Jeep Cherokee?
By following a few simple procedures, one may add transmission fluid to a Jeep Cherokee. Simply, open the hood, remove the oil dipstick, set a funnel in place, and pour the oil. Isn’t it easy? However, some people will still find it challenging to add transmission oil.
Therefore, the article will discuss how one can add transmission oil to their jeep Cherokee step by step. Besides, the readers will learn additional information and answer some FAQs. So, let’s start.
Adding the Transmission Fluid of your Jeep Cherokee
If the transmission fluid level is low after taking the reading, add Transmission Fluid to the Jeep Cherokee. One may follow the below procedure for adding fluids to the transmission.
Locate the jeep on even ground, such as parking ground
Install the parking brake
Inactivate the car
Put a long funnel in the hole of the dipstick in the transmission
Begin to pour the transmission fluid into the tube. The quantity of the transmission fluid depends on the purpose of adding the fluid. If one pours oil just for refilling purposes, pour fluid little by little until reaching the whole mark. If you drop a pan and change the filter during a transmission service, you’ll need 4 to 5 quarts of transmission fluid to replace the already lost fluid in the pan. In contrast, if you are refilling all of the transmission fluid, you will need approximately 9 to 13 quarts of transmission fluid.
After adding the fluid, apply the brake and spin the transmission through the gears to disperse the liquid. It will help to obtain an exact reading. One must proceed with this procedure while the jeep is in inactive mode.
Go through the transmission fluid level again to ensure that the current fluid level is perfect. If the reading is lower than expected, then go through the process again.
Place the dipstick into the transmission sleeve. Make sure you have placed the dipstick properly.
What Is Transmission Fluid?
Transmission Fluid is oil that lubricates the components of cars’ gearboxes and performs the role of coolant. Transmission fluid is vital because when a vehicle runs, the motor generates excessive heat to induce power generation. Transmission Fluid keeps the system cool by releasing the heat properly. If you don’t check the transmission fluid level and it runs off, the car can have several consequences.
There are several types of transmission fluids, such as manual transmission fluid, automatic transmission fluid, synthetic transmission fluid, and Traditional Transmission Fluid. Different cars use different Transmission Fluids. So, it is wise to know your type of transmission fluid requirements. Generally, the Jeep Cherokee uses Automatic Transmission Fluid 4 (AT4).
How Often Should Transmission Fluid Be Changed?
Almost everyone is conscious of changing motor oil. But when it comes to changing transmission oil, some wonder. But regular checking on transmission oil level is vital for protecting your jeep Cherokee’s internal part of the gear.
Over time, transmission fluid becomes polluted by debris and other particles. The polluted fluid can’t serve its purpose accurately. Furthermore, the lower level of transmission fluid can hamper the internal parts of the gear due to excessive heat. It can even lead to transmission failure.
But how often one should change transmission fluid depends on the car’s model. However, most jeep Cherokee manufacturers recommend that one should alter transmission oil every two years. But if you notice that the fluid has become contaminated, it’s better to change it immediately.
Checking the Transmission Fluid of your Jeep Cherokee
One can check the level of Transmission Fluid of the Jeep Cherokee by following the below steps. So, let’s start.
- Place your Jeep Cherokee on a flat surface like a park.
- Install the handbrake of the Jeep Cherokee
- Start the car. Always keep in mind that one must check the Transmission Fluid level when the transmission is in running condition. Because transmission fluid should be warm to get an accurate reading.
- Press the brake. But don’t run the jeep. One has to run the jeep’s gear for even circulation of the transmission fluid. It will ultimately resist false Transmission Fluid level reading.
- Open the hood. Find out the transmission dipstick. Manufacturers most often place the dipstick in front of the engine. If one doesn’t find the dipstick, it’s better to check the manual of the jeep.
- Remove the dipstick. Thoroughly clean the dipstick with a soft microfiber cloth. One can also wipe it down. It is necessary since a clean dipstick also helps to provide an accurate reading.
- Insert the dipstick into the transmission fluid.
- Remove the dipstick again to double-check the reading.
- Never get a reading when the transmission fluid is cold. It will give an erroneous reading
- Always monitor the level of transmission fluid against the dipstick’s hot mark on the dipstick.
Frequently Asked Question
1. Can a person add transmission fluid oneself?
Washing the old transmission is always a messy and dirty job. That’s why most people prefer to get the help of a professional. If you clean the transmission and refill it with transmission fluid by a professional, you may need to spend around $149 to $199. But one can easily do the task by oneself by following some straightforward steps. Just make sure you have placed a pan under the car. So, the polluted fluid will not make a further mess on the ground. This will save you around $100.
2. What are the symptoms of low transmission fluid?
If a car has a lower level of transmission fluid, the rider can observe the following symptoms:
- Noises while shifting gears
- Generation of Burning Smell when riding the car
- Leakage of Transmission fluid
- Slow and Slipping Gear performance
While many people are conscious of motor oil, a few are aware of transmission fluid. Most people don’t even know how to add transmission fluid to a jeep Cherokee. Therefore, the article discussed the process of adding transmission fluid step by step. Besides, the article included additional necessary information about transmission fluid. I hope the readers have found the article precise, informative, and helpful.
1 thought on “How To Add Transmission Fluid Jeep Cherokee”